Sunday, March 18, 2007

Long live Iron Maiden!

Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have constant fear that something's always near
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a phobia that someone's always there

I've not been an avid metal listener as the other 35 odd thousand folks who attended the so called God's of Metal Iron Maiden perform for the first time in history in this part of the world. But now I must say, that I was every bit fortunate and lucky to be one amongst them to see them live in blood and flesh.
Belting numbers from their latest album, "A Matter of Life and Death", the fans actually came to the fore once they echoed "Troopers". That was the start we were looking for, and then came "666: Number of the Beast", "Fear of the Dark", "Hallowed be Thy Name", "2 Minutes to Midnight" et al. I'm still in awe of the entire scene, it was just unbelievable when Fear of the Dark rolled out. Superlative stuff, that's all I can say! With the never-die-figure of Eddie on a Huge Tank, India perhaps has never witnessed a concert on such a large scale. Tonnes of equipment was shipped, and with a giant 40ft by 20ft of backdrop of the various posters, it truly lived to its expectations of a mega event.
A powerhouse of a performance and it wasn't a bad start for me as I watched my first live concert ever. At the end of the show, I'm still left wondering what Mr. Bruce Dickenson , the lead had for lunch to deliver such an energetic performance. Not often, do you see the the lead vocalist climbing up the speakers tower unaided and then sliding from the top. All this for the fans! But then, I'm told by someone that this very energy is their identity, which has their ever increasing fans spanning across generations. And so as the Gods descended and "commanded"..
Scream for me Bangalore!!

Update: Well, came across this article on rediff describing this event. Well, has to be one helluva fan who's written this. Read on here..

No comments: