Wednesday, August 29, 2007

First Ever Website?

First grad class of my life starts in the afternoon, and right now while sitting at the system, suddenly I was wondering as to which was the first website ever on the internet? Well, in this Google-age, it ain't that difficult to find the answer of any question or for that matter a question to any answer. So I pinged in the query and there were quite a few folks who had wondered about the same before. But there were some hilarious answers such as -
- Microsoft, since they invented the 'first' browser.. IE.. :D I was almost rolling on the floor laughing!
- GameFaqs.com or LordsOfPain.net, since they have been around for more than 10 yrs.


Well, sanity returned when the name of Tim Burners Lee was mentioned and then further pinging and querying I finally had the answer -
http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html
According to Tim,
It is not now (alas) served but a later (1992) copy of the original pages exists at http://www.w3.org/History/19921103-hypertext/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

Well, I was also served with the history of browsers. For the inquisitive, here it is.

No comments: