Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Loading.. Loading.. Still Loading..

Just for information, I have a 256kbps internet connection rolling at my home and I pay a 1000 bucks for the same per month. I consider the speed to be decent and I believe even though with the advent of 2Mbps connections now, 256 still is decent enough keeping the median speed which folks enjoy in this country.
However, Leslie Cauley of USA Today has kinda woken me up by reporting that even Uncle Sam does not enjoy premier interent data transfer rate.. and she's talking about rate in the order of 1.973Mbps! Read the article here, where she compares the same to Japan, where the median speed is 61Mbps.. are you kidding!!!!

I wonder with 50 million internet users in India and a whole lot of firms which are hooking up every nook and corner of space available in this country, why the heck aren't we at the top, even with players like Tata and Reliance now enjoying a considerable share in this business? Its baffling to say the least..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the Koreans and Japanese should come to India and try to access internet. I am sure they would kill themselves :D

@purV said...

True Venu.. 61 Mbps is kinda unbelievable.. I mean, everything would seem as though on a localhost!

Jaya said...

I am in the US, and for the past few years I'd had the same speed as you, 256kbps. But about 2 weeks ago I upgraded to 7Mbps, and I have to say it is great. I'm much more impatient now with the slower connection speeds on the computers at work now though!

@purV said...

Whoa.. 7Mbps from 256Kbps.. that's a kinda phenomenal upgrade.. :D envious to say the least..

Anonymous said...

Don't worry.. since you're headed to UT, you'll be assured a comfortable 2Mbps. I'd say its generally sufficient.

@purV said...

Agreed Kunal, anything over 256"K"bs would be a luxury! :D